Taking care of a baby can be a fulfilling yet hard task especially for new mothers. The smallest things that can occur can cause some new mothers to be in a state of panic without considering the fact that those occurrences are just normal. Toddlers can always have different colored stools sometimes depending on the food they eat. Still, there is always a cause for concern when toddlers start having white colored stools.
How Do White Colored Stools Look Like?
White colored stools or white poop are not usually just white in color. More often than not, they appear chalky or they may also have a slightly grayish or yellowish tinge to it. There are times when toddlers get this type of stool when they have diarrhea or other stomach problems. There are also times when they could appear as normal stool. For parents who might be feeling a bit panicky, bringing a sample of the stool to the pediatrician can confirm if the stools are truly white. There are times when parents assume that the stools are white only to be countered by the pediatrician.
Why are White Stools Alarming?
It is possible that for new parents, white stools can be alarming because it does not happen often and it might signify that something is wrong with the toddler. In reality, it may signify a serious health condition. The food that toddlers eat as well as adults has to pass through the liver. When the white poop in toddler passes through the intestine, the stools become brown in color. Before passing through the intestine however, the stools are usually white. If the stools appear white when released, this may signify that the digestive process experiencing by the toddler is not right. There is a chance that there is a blockage with the intestine and that is making the stools become white in color.
Causes of White Stools in Toddlers
Aside from the reason mentioned above, there are still other causes of white stools in toddlers that should be addressed immediately. Some of the possible causes are the following:
- Diet – There are instances when toddlers are on an all milk diet. This diet can cause the stools to become white in color.
- Viral Hepatitis – This type of virus usually targets the liver and as a result, the liver is not able to produce the right amount of bile and this causes the stools to become whitish in color. There are instances when taking medications can cause toddlers to have hepatitis symptoms. For people who suspect that this is the case, consulting the doctor immediately will solve the problem.
- Bile Duct Cysts – There are instances when cysts block certain parts of the digestive system which causes bile not to flow into the other parts of the digestive system. As a result, the stools may become whitish in color.
- Biliary Atresia – This type of condition is often times mistaken to be similar with bile duct cysts but this type of condition affects the flow of bile from the liver to the gallbladder. Usually, toddlers are born with this condition. Those that are diagnosed with this condition should seek treatment immediately because this might lead to a more serious health condition.
- Stomach Flu – There are different reasons why toddlers experience stomach flu. It can be because of some food products that did not mix well together in the stomach. It can also be caused by viruses and bacteria that can affect the stomach a lot. The other symptoms of stomach flu can be very alarming especially when experienced by toddlers that white stools are sometimes not given the attention that it deserves.
Aside from the possible causes mentioned above, there are still other causes of white poop in toddler. An example of which is taking anti fungal medications. Do remember that the causes mentioned are just a few of the possible reasons for toddlers to have white stools. The seriousness of the conditions may range from mild to severe and this explains why people should contact the pediatrician immediately.
Treatments for White Poop in Toddlers
Do remember that the treatments that will be done will always depend on the condition that the child has. For instance, if the child is experiencing stomach flu then certain treatments would have to be done in order to make sure that the child becomes entirely cured. Do remember that there are some home remedies that people can do to also treat and prevent white stools. Some of these remedies are the following:
- Make Sure That the Toddler is hydrated – There are times when parents feed their toddlers too much without realizing that not a lot of water is being fed to the toddler. When the toddler is properly hydrated, this will ensure that the digestive system will stay healthy.
- Feed the Toddler Food Products High in Fiber – Fiber aids in digestion and can help improve the digestive system of toddlers overall. Some examples of fibrous foods are legumes and grains. If in case you cannot feed your toddler those food products, fruits and vegetables will also help a lot.
- Avoid Feeding Unhealthy Food Products – Some toddlers are already picky eaters and some parents sometimes think that they just have to feed something hence the feeding of fatty and unhealthy food. This should still be avoided because this can be hard for the livers of toddlers.
- Encourage Toddlers to Have Proper Exercise – When toddlers exercise, this makes their body healthier and stronger and can help prevent the onset of any disease that might eventually cause the appearance of white poop in toddler. Usually, exercise can also be done in a form of a game that can help parents bond with their toddlers too.
Do remember that there are some conditions that cause white stools in toddlers that will require the toddler to undergo serious medical treatments and help. Being sure to be prepared not only about the cost but the stress of the treatments can help the recovery of the toddler become faster too.