Having back pain is always uncomfortable for a lot of people. There are times when people are unable to function because of the pain. They tend to miss work and forego doing certain tasks because they cannot take the pain anymore.
Usually, people experience back pain when they are too sedentary which means that in a day, they barely make any movements. In fact, there is a big possibility that staying in front of the monitor the whole day can be one of the primary causes of back pain. It is also true that being too active can also cause lower back pain. Too much of anything is always bad.
The Benefits of Stretching
You may think that in order to get rid of the back pain, you need to include more exercise in your routine but do you know that stretching can also be good for you? Maybe you need to do more stretching instead of exercising. Here are some benefits that you can get from stretching:
- Improves Flexibility – When you stretch more, you tend to relax your muscles so that they can become more flexible. You have to remember that the more flexible your muscles are, the better your movements are going to be. If you are not flexible, your movements will always be limited.
- Reduces Stress – Why do you always feel the need to stretch after doing your job? This is because your body is telling you that you need to reduce stress all over your body. When you stretch, you are not only reducing the stress of your muscles but also the stress your mind is feeling.
- Increases Blood Flow – Wondering why your muscles are feeling so constricted? This may be because your muscles do not get enough blood flow. Stretching will help solve this problem.
There may still be more benefits of stretching that you will get in the long run but it is important that you will know the type of stretches that you can do so that you can make the most out of everything that you will try.
Some Stretches for Lower Back Pain
Wondering now what stretches you would need to do so that you can get rid of lower back pain? Here are some that you ought to try:
Knee to Chest Stretch
You need to make sure that you will be lying down flat on your back when you try to do this stretch. This can be beneficial for you as this can make the pelvis aligned to lessen possible back pain. At the same time, this can also stretch the lower back muscles in order to get rid of the pain.
- Make sure that you are lying down and point your toes upward.
- Bend your knee and pull your leg towards your chest area.
- Gently wrap your hands around the knee as it goes near your chest area.
- Hold the position for 20 seconds.
- Do the same stretch for the other knee.
- You are recommended to do this about 2 – 3 times a day.
Hamstring Floor Stretch
Once again this is another type of stretch that would require you to lie down flat on your back so that it can be effective.You can be sure that doing this regularly will help get rid of the pain that you are feeling.
- Make sure that your back is lying flat on the mat you have set up on the floor.
- Slowly raise one of your legs until it is pointing upwards.
- Place both hands at the back of the knee and count for 20 seconds
- Do the same stretch for the other knee.
- Repeat this about 3 times a day.
Lying Knee Twist
Based on the name itself, you can already guess that the knee would have to be twisted a bit so that you can get the results that you are searching for. This type of stretching is known to be beneficial as it can also strengthen the abdominal muscles that a lot of people find hard to do.
- Lie down on your back. Make sure that your starting position is you will be lying down straight.
- Then you would need to raise one of your legs up. You may start with the left or the right depending on what you are more comfortable in.
- Bend your knee and make sure that you will cross it over to the other side of your body.
- Hold this position for about 20 seconds.
- Do the same for the other leg.
Do you think that the main reason why you are suffering from lower back pain is because of your bad posture? This is the perfect stretch for you to do. You can be sure that no matter what it is that has caused your bad posture, you will be able to correct through this stretch.
- You would need to lie down on the floor.
- Slowly raise one knee.
- Put the other leg over the other knee.
- Pull up your upper body going towards the knees then put it down again after 10 seconds.
- Repeat this with the other knee.
If you are tired of stretches that will require you to lie down, this is a different type of stretch that would require you to be on all fours while you are doing this stretch. The great thing about this is that this can help relax the muscles that are near the spinal area.
- Kneel on all fours like a cat.
- Make sure that your hips and knees are aligned with each other.
- Gently arch your spine as you do breathing exercises.
- Feel the muscles of your back tighten with the movements that you are doing.
- This would have to be done about 10 times for each time you stretch.
If you want to stretch the lower part of your body then you will benefit a lot by doing this stretch. You can surely feel a large difference after doing this stretch for a certain period of time.
- Lie on your stomach and slowly extend your legs until straight.
- You would need to place your elbows flat on the ground in front of you.
- Raise your body upwards so that the weight will be on your forearms.
- Make sure that you will not raise your hips off from the ground.
- You will feel that your abdominal muscles will be stretched in the process.
- Hold the position that you are in for 10 seconds before lowering yourself to the ground.
- Remember that you would need to do this about 5 times for each session that you try it out.
The things that are mentioned above are just some of the stretches that you can do in order to improve the pain that you are feeling on your lower back. You can be sure that by doing these things, you will not only be stopping the pain but you are also going to get the benefits that people normally get because of stretching.
Doing stretches regularly may not be a part of your usual routine now but if you would start incorporating it now, it will be a good habit that you will carry with you for as long as you need to.