If you are experiencing shin splints right now, you know how painful it can be at times. Even if you would like to train some more or do physical activities, you are being hindered to do so probably because you can barely move. What if you would be told that there are some techniques that you can do so that you can get rid of shin splints and be able to move properly again?
Before you get to know the various things that you can do to get rid of shin splints, it will be helpful to know the possible reasons why it is acquired.
Reasons for Getting Shin Splints
- Non Stop Exercise that Requires Feet
- The use of old shoes that does not provide enough support.
- Too Much Exercise
- Too Much Running
- Weak Core Muscles
Based on the things that are mentioned above, it is quite apparent that everything is caused by doing too much physical exercise.
Now that you already know the possible reasons for acquiring shin splints, here are the things that you can do in order to make it go away.
Top 10 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Shin Splints Fast
More often than not, resting is one thing that a lot of people who are too busy or who are too focused forget to do. If you would not rest, you will not give your body a time to recover so it will not be able to cultivate the muscles that you are asking it to form.
- At the first signs that your leg starts hurting, you may want to rest for about 2 – 3 days.
- If your leg still hurts even after not doing some exercises or training, you may want to do it for about 2 weeks to make sure that the pain will go away.
- Use an Icepack
There is always a good reason why an icepack is used to help get rid of the pain brought about by the condition. Ice can make the pain and sometimes the inflammation go away. This can be done every night until the condition starts to improve.
- Place the ice on the leg area that hurts.
- Leave it there for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Stretch your legs properly after using the ice pack.
- Take an Ice Bath
If you have heard that taking ice baths are usually done by athletes, when you start getting shin splints, you will know the reason why they usually do it especially after heavy training or a particularly hard game. Some people may find an ice bath uncomfortable especially when they are not feeling pain but for a body that is in pain, an ice bath can be soothing.
- Place a lot of ice on your bath water.
- Lie down for about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Sit up and rest afterwards in order to get the blood’s circulation working properly again.
- Get a Massage
There is a good reason why a lot of people who are stressed would like getting massages. It is because as the massage will help cure tired and aching muscles. If you have shin splints, getting a massage can be particularly helpful too. The calf muscles will be loosened properly and can help relieve the pain brought about by the condition.
- Make sure that you will choose the best spa that can offer the massage that you need especially on your leg area.
- Rest afterwards to relax your whole body and to help stop the pain.
It is always vital that before people do any physical activities, they would need to do some stretching first. This will help prepare the muscles for the things that might lie ahead. Not stretching might shock the muscles and make them cramped.
- You are recommended to do a wall stretch every day especially before doing any type of work.
- Do not do stretching excessively since this may cause some problems too.
- Do stretching every day in order to help prevent getting shin splints.
- Run on Softer Surfaces
One of the main reasons why people get shin splints is because they usually run on hard surfaces. Even running on uneven services can cause some trouble. This can then be avoided by running or working out in softer surfaces instead.
- Instead of running on uneven roads with a lot of gravel, you may want to choose dirt trails instead because this type of road is softer.
- Whenever you have the chance, you may want to have an exercise mat when you are working out.
- You can also run on grass or soil if you are comfortable.
- Don’t Push Yourself
One of the greatest mistakes that you may do is when you continue to work out when you are already feeling pain. The main reason for this is probably because of the thinking that the more that you workout, the better the muscles will be able to recover. In the case of shin splints, this is not true at all.
- If you feel a little bit of pain, do not try to do anything anymore.
- If the pain is too extreme already, you may want to have yourself checked so that it will not progress into something more serious.
- Change Shoes
If the main reason why you have acquired the condition in the first place is because you do not want to replace your favorite shoes, now is probably the time to make a change. Do remember that there are many affordable exercise shoes that are available depending on what you need.
- Purchase shoes that you can use for a long time, or at least as long as it can provide you the comfort that you need.
- Purchase shoes that will fit your feet well. Having ill fitting shoes will not help your condition at all.
- Do Core Workouts
Whenever you do core workouts, you are making the mid part of your body stronger. This will help reduce the pressure that might be felt by your lower limbs. If your core becomes stronger, the lower limbs do not have to take a lot of pressure already.
- Incorporate some core workouts that you can do at home comfortably.
- Do these core workouts every other day.
- Lose Some Pounds
One of the main reasons why the lower limbs are hurting is because it has to take a lot of weight. If you would lose all of your extra weight, not only will you feel better because you are healthier but your lower limbs will also thank you because it does not have to work that much.
- Incorporate more fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Avoid eating junk food and fatty food products.
- Have a healthier lifestyle overall.
The things that are mentioned above are just some of the possible things that you can do in order to get rid of shin splints at the soonest possible time. Do remember that listening to your body when it is already going through too much will help you determine what are the things that you should do and which ones you can stop first even temporarily.