There are some people who become bothered when they see that they have red blotches on their legs. It seems that women especially have a hard time dealing with red blotches on legs because they cannot wear certain clothes because of the way that their legs look. The first step that people have to take is to determine what is causing the red spots on legs. Usually, there are various skin conditions that may be minor to serious that would have to be addressed.
Common Causes of Red Blotches on Legs
Here are just some of the conditions that might affect how people’s legs look like. These conditions may cause red spots on legs.
- Eczema – A lot of people do not know that they have eczema because they just think that they have skin allergies when their skin is exposed to various irritants. There are several things that may irritate the skin. Some of which are dust particles, some harmful chemicals and even some pieces of jewelry. There are also instances when people get this condition not because they are being exposed to certain irritants but because they have other health conditions that would have to be addressed at the soonest possible time.
- Hives – There are some people who normally get hives because they are usually exposed to the causes of this condition. If in case you are not sure what the causes are, people can get hives from certain medications or from allergens that are present in the air. Some even get it when they are exposed to pollen. Hives usually look like red bumps that may appear in different parts of the body. Depending on which body part is exposed, the red bumps will appear on those body parts.
- Folliculits – There are a lot of people who are not sure what kind of condition this is. If in case you are not familiar with this, this is the skin condition wherein the hair follicles become exposed to bacteria. The bacteria may then cause the skin to have red, pimple like spots. It may look scary because the pimples may bleed when popped but this condition can be treated easily.
- Vasculitis – If the condition mentioned above is caused by bacteria, this condition is caused by the blood vessels. There are instances when the blood vessels become inflamed and as a result, red blotches can be seen in certain areas of the skin. This is actually a serious condition because the inflammation of the blood vessels can cause some organs to die within the body. People usually report that the affected body part like the legs cannot be moved and sometimes cannot be felt.
- Petechiae – There are instances when people would have to take cytotoxic medications for some of their health conditions. Usually, the red spots that appear on the legs are small in size but they can show that there are certain areas of the legs that are bleeding internally. If in case this is seen, this should be addressed to the doctor immediately so that things can be done to improve the person’s condition. Do remember that side effects of cytotoxic medication may come with other symptoms that are uncommon.
- Measles – There are different types of measles that people may experience. It may range from Rubella to real measles that may take a longer time before the red spots on legs as well as on different parts of the body can go away. Do remember that measles are usually characterized by red spots that do not seem to penetrate over the epidermis. If the spots seem to go over the epidermis, it might be a sign of chicken pox. These conditions usually do not just appear on the legs. Rather, they appear on different parts of the body.
- Cold Weather – There are instances when the red spots that appear on the legs are just caused by the weather. Usually, by the time comes that the skin is able to adjust to the weather; the red spots or blotches will just disappear from the skin.
Do remember that aside from these skin conditions, it is highly likely that people may have other reasons for experiencing red spots on the skin. The best way to know what condition you are currently experiencing is by having yourself checked by the doctor.
Cures for Red Spots on the Skin
If you are bothered by the appearance of the red spots on legs, do remember that there are various things that you can do that can help improve your current condition. The red spots that appear on the legs are usually curable. With some, you do not even need to contact your doctor for help. Here are just some of the things that you can do:
- Avoid Scratching – One of the reasons why the skin becomes redder and the skin breaks out is because it is being scratched often. If your skin is itchy, try not to scratch it because scratching will only worsen your current condition.
- Avoid Placing Various Creams and Ointments – One of the misconceptions of people is they assume that when certain creams and ointments are placed on the affected area, the area will start to improve but this is not always the case. Usually, the components of the cream or the ointment can just aggravate the situation.
- Wash with Warm Water – If you would have to wash the affected area with water, make sure that you use warm water. This can stop the spots from being itchy and at the same time, this can cleanse the spots so that they will not spread on the different areas of the skin. Of course, this depends on the type of skin condition that the person is currently experiencing.
Aside from these simple things that you can do to help improve the condition of the skin, do remember that it would still be a good idea to see a medical professional to correctly diagnose what is causing the spots or the blotches on the skin. Upon diagnosis, people will be able to tell what they need to do afterwards.