There are some people who feel pain around their belly button from time to time. Even though more often than not, people just forget about the pain until they are feeling it again. There are some who feel the abdominal pain around their belly button very often so instead of not being bothered by it, they start to search for possible reasons why they are feeling the pain.
Some Facts about Pain Around the Belly Button
Most people assume that the pain that people are experiencing is all the same but this is not true at all. There are instances when people experience pain on the skin near their belly button while there are also instances when the pain is concentrated on the muscles near the abdomen. There are also times when the internal organs that are located near the belly button are causing the pain. Truly, people should know where the pain is coming from. This way, they will be able to tell how serious the condition currently is.
Types of Belly Button Pain
It is true that the areas that may be causing the pain may be all different but the types of pain that people are feeling may also be different. Here are just some of the types of pain:
- Acute Pain – This is the type of pain that usually comes suddenly. Since it comes suddenly, it also leaves suddenly. Usually the pain is sharp and can truly be felt.
- Chronic Pain – This is the type of pain that may come gradually but it usually felt for more than six months. Usually, people who are experiencing this type of pain is suffering from various diseases or conditions.
There are some types of pain that can be disregarded but there are also instances when the pain just comes suddenly so it becomes a cause of concern.
Causes of Pain around the Belly Button
There are various causes of pain around belly button that people can feel. The pain may be caused by various conditions and diseases that people have to be aware about. There are some causes of pain that are just simple but there are also instances when the pain may be caused by a serious condition that would have to be addressed immediately. Here are just some of the possible causes of pain that people should know about:
- Appendicitis – For those who do not know this is the inflammation of the appendix. For the longest time, people thought that the appendix was something that the body cannot even benefit from but actually, studies show now that people need it because it can help the body overall.
- Cholecytysis – This is the condition wherein the gall bladder becomes inflamed and in turn, it causes pain.
- UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) – This is the type of condition wherein the urinary system gets affected. This is usually characterized by people having hard time releasing urine.
- Gastrointestinal problems – There are various intestinal problems that people may be experiencing. For instance, IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) might cause pain to people when it starts to act up. Usually, you can tell if the pain around belly button is real is caused by gastrointestinal problems if you the pain worsens or starts up after eating. It is possible that you have eaten something that the body is trying to reject hence the pain.
- Pancreatitis – There are some people who believe that this is a serious condition because this is the inflammation of the pancreas. Do remember though that there are some people who experience pain because of this condition that do not get checked. As a result, they usually experience the pain around belly button for years. This is a condition that will not go away on its own.
- Umbilical Hernia – This is a condition that is usually experienced by children but adults can still get it. Usually, people who have this condition have a bulge near the belly button. The bulge may seem swollen and can be hard to touch.
- Tumors – There are instances when people do not even realize that they have tumors in their abdominal areas. Usually, the pain that is felt never goes away. For people who are experiencing this type of pain, going to the doctor immediately will always help because this should be diagnosed very early.
- Strained Muscles – Usually because of exercising, there are instances when the muscles on the abdominal area becomes pulled and strained. As a result, the muscles cause pain. Usually, when people take a rest day, the muscles will have time to regenerate and will not cause pain around belly button anymore.
- Pregnancy – For women, this may be a very painful condition but this is not dangerous at all. Pregnancy may cause certain types of pain near the abdominal area but after 9 months, the pain will eventually go away.
Aside from these possible causes mentioned above, there are still a lot more possible reasons why people are experiencing pain around their belly button.
Treatment for Pain around the Belly Button
Like mentioned earlier, there are some people right now who do not even know realize that the pains they are already feeling are serious. It is very important to seek the help of a doctor especially if the pain experienced is sharp and abrupt. Do not let the pain progress and become chronic over time when you can immediately find the reason for the type of pain that you are experiencing at the soonest possible time.
Depending on your current condition, the treatment that the doctor will prescribe will also be different. For instance, there may be some doctors that will prescribe antibiotics if your pain is caused by bacterial infections in the abdomen. Some doctors will also prescribe pain medication to make people feel comfortable even for just a short period of time. Doing anything that has not been prescribed by the doctor can proceed in making the pain or the condition worse so try to avoid doing anything that might aggravate the situation at all cost.