Lower back spasms are the involuntary contractions of your back muscle. Your back muscle can be irritated or even injured any time. Most of the cases last no longer than 5 to 6 weeks and can be treated by a simple home treatment or even painkillers.
Normally our lower back supports our structural movements as well as also protects our certain body tissues. Lower back spasms can relate to your bony lumbar spine, ligaments around discs and spine, lower back muscle or even spinal nerves and cords and the skin that is covering your lumbar area. Treatment totally depends on the causes of the pain.
The causes of Lower Back Spasms
The most common cause the injury. A sudden movement can make this situation worse. Individuals between the ages of 28 to 60 years old may experience back spasms. Following are some common causes:
- Back Muscle Stain: It is one of the popular causes of back spasms. The causes of this condition can be sudden movement, twisting, lifting heavy objects. The patient may experience mild discomfort to severe pain. Difficulty in the movement, local soreness, pain in the buttock or even upper thigh is the common symptoms of this condition.
- Lumber Stain: It is basically a stretch injury to the tendons, ligaments of the low back. Normally the people over 40 years old experience this problem. The patience may experience a lot of discomfort in the lower back area. Future injury in the back area can make this situation horrible, so it is important to maintain a back protection technique.
- Nerve Irritation: It is also a common cause. This condition also includes bony encroachment, inflammation, lumber disc diseases and viral infection. This situation can be worse after sitting and standing or sometimes when walking. The pain can range from severe to acing pain. Pain is normally ongoing and can be accomplished by numbness or weakness.
- Degenerative Disc Disease: If the lumber discs that are between the vertebrae start to break down, then it can cause a lot of inflammation as well as instability. Most of the disc abnormalities are basically the combination of the normal aging process and often it does not show any symptoms. Sometimes it also takes years to develop.
- Workout: There are a variety of exercises that can cause muscle spasms of your lower back and can lead to the back pain. This is very common with the weekend warriors who only workouts on the weekends.
Symptoms of Lower Back Spasms
Symptoms range from stabbing and sharp to dull ache. This pain can be intermittent or constant as well as positional. Patient may experience lower back pain suddenly just after an injury. If the injury is or the causes of back spasms are serious then it can last more than 3 months. It is important to seek medical attention if you experience this pain more than 72 hours. Following are some symptoms:
- Pain is ongoing and can be worse in the foot or even leg than the lower back
- Long period of sitting, walking or even standing make the condition worse
- Accomplished by numbness, difficulty in moving the foot or leg, weakness
- Changing position relives pain
- Very tight hamstrings
If the cause of this pain is injury, then it is very important to seek medical attention. Sometimes warning signs can be serious and require full medical attention. A lower back spasm that is caused by heavy lifting or excessive exercise is a strain injury.
Home Remedies for Lower Back Spasms
Acute back spasms often resolve spontaneously. Home remedies have the ability to make you comfortable include cold bag, warm baths as well as heating bag application. Following are some effective home remedies that can help you a lot to get rid of this problem.
- Continue Normal Activities: It is often recommended by the doctors. You have to continue your normal daily activities. It is seen that the patients who like to take bed rest often make their situation worsen. It is the best idea to continue daily work if you want to get quick relief.
- Yoga: It is seen that yoga is really beneficial for you. You just need to consult with an experienced physician or instructor who knows and understands the issues. The instructor will be able to help you find out the best yoga to get relief.
- Ice and Heat Packs: It is a very common home remedies, however; it works great. Most of the times the patients love to use ice packs, some patients also prefer heat packs. You can also use both ice and heat packs alternatively.
- Massage Therapy: Massage therapy can help you to get rid of this pain. Massage treatment often restores people to the usual activities of their daily living as well as lessen pain.
Above are the most common treatments. Patient can seek proper treatment from the personal doctor if their pain is severe.
Treatment for Lower back Spasms
- Medications: There are some popular medications like naproxen, acetaminophen, Advil that can be helpful for you. Prescription medications are often used for severe pain.
- Injections: Cortisone or Anesthetics related injections can also be used for this symptoms.
- Surgery: Surgery is only recommended if your situation is worst. If other treatments do not work for you, then surgery can be beneficial. Normally the surgery option includes the removal of muscle tissues or even bone around your spinal cords, Spinal fusion and disc removal.
Normally the treatment for lower back spasms totally depends on the history of the patient as well as also depends on the severity and type of the pain. There are some exercises that helps to get rid of this condition and these exercises are also the part of a proper treatment plan. If your pain persists, do not late to seek medical attention.