A lot of people find having loose bowels while they are in a public place a very difficult position to be in. Admittedly, there are a lot of people who experience this condition a few times during the year. The reasons for having loose bowels can change a lot. There are some who experience it because of the food that they eat while others experience loose bowels because of a hidden condition that might affect how healthy people will be in the long run.
The main reason why people get loose bowels is because the body has detected that a certain food or ingredient is not compatible with the person’s overall body system. As a result, the body would like to just release the food immediately to keep the body healthy. Knowing the other causes of having watery stools can help people determine their present condition.
Possible Causes of Loose Bowels
People would have to be aware of the possible reasons for experiencing loose bowels. Here are just some of the possible causes:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) – From the name itself, you can already guess what this condition is all about. It is usually caused by the malfunction of the colon probably because of the different food products that the person has eaten. There are some people who have bodies that are intolerant of chocolates. Eating chocolates can cause the colon to act up and this will result to IBS.
- A problem with the Gallbladder – The gallbladder is another important part of the digestive system because it takes charge of the bile that is often released by the liver. The gallbladder stores bile until it is already needed but sometimes, it is not able to do its function well because there are some stones that are located inside the gallbladder. Usually, when people have gallbladder problems, they cannot digest food very properly.
- Lactose Intolerance – Some people are highly intolerant of taking in dairy products. This is probably the main reason why some people think of other substitutes to dairy. People who are lactose intolerant usually feel the urge to throw up and sometimes just have loose bowels to get rid of the properties of the dairy products.
- Food Poisoning – There are times when people become poisoned with the food products because of other possible chemicals that have mixed in with the food products. Some get food poisoning because the products are already expired.
- Malfunction of the Pancreas – There are times when it is the pancreas that has a problem. Usually, when the pancreas malfunctions, it is unable to release the needed enzymes to break down various food products. When the enzymes are not broken down properly, the result might be loose stools because there are still a lot of products that can be taken in from the food products.
Other than the possible causes mentioned above, it is highly likely that people can think of other reasons for having loose bowels. There are also more serious conditions that can be the cause of having loose poop. Some of the serious conditions include the following:
- Celiac Disease – This is the condition wherein people get digestive problems that range from loose stools to constipation. This is considered to be a serious condition because it can lead to the disruption and problems with the different intestines.
- Ulcerative Colisis – There are times when the body’s immune system attacks the healthy cells of the body. This is the case with Ulcerative Colitis. The digestive tract usually becomes inflamed and this can cause people to have loose bowels.
- Crohn’s Disease – Similar to Ulcerative Colitis, this is the digestion of the digestive tract which makes it harder for people to digest their food properly. Usually, this condition comes with a variety of other symptoms and conditions that can cause people to be highly uncomfortable.
Preventing Onset of Loose Bowels
It is always important for people to try to prevent having loose bowels whether prevention is something that can easily be done or something that would take a lot of effort. Some of the things to remember are the following:
- If you are lactose intolerant, it is advisable that you try to avoid dairy at all costs. It is true that dairy products are usually appreciated by a lot of people but you do not have to force it in if you are lactose intolerant because frequently having loose stools can be very bad for your body.
- You can also prevent having loose stools and a variety of other symptoms if you would make sure that you are eating fresh food products that are not mixed with any type of poison. It is important to know the products that you are eating.
- Prevent loose stools by making sure that you are avoiding the food products that can cause your digestive system to have a serious problem. If you know that you are allergic to certain products, do your best to try avoiding those products. It might cause serious complications later on.
- It would also be best if you could try not to eat spicy foods. Sometimes, spicy food is digested immediately by the body. This is also the same with other food products.
Treatment for Loose Bowels
If you already have the condition and you would like to have it cured, remember that the treatments for loose bowels will differ tremendously depending on what is causing the condition. For instance, lactose intolerance and IBS can easily be cured by avoiding the products that are causing by the condition. There are times though when stronger medications would be prescribed by the doctor to help cure certain diseases. If the medications are not working well, that is the time when surgery might also be considered again, depending on the condition of the patient. Do remember that there are some symptoms that might indicate how serious the condition that you are experiencing is. There are different reasons for acquiring loose stools but getting properly diagnosed by your doctor will always help a lot.