IBS or Irritable bowel syndrome normally affects the large intestine. It is a common syndrome that comes with a number of causes including abdominal pain, diarrhea, cramping, bloating gas as well as constipation. IBS can also cause the permanent damage to the colon. Normally IBS does not cause any serious problem like inflammation or even the disorder in the bowel tissue. It is possible to control this disease simply by managing the lifestyle as well as your diet! If a person experiences discomfort or even abdominal pain more than 3 times a month without any injury or other causes, then the cause of this discomfort can be IBS. The symptoms can be relieved by the bowel movement.
Common Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Abdominal pain is the most common symptom of irritable bowel syndrome. It often comes with a lot of discomfort as well as changes in the habit of the bowel. Following are the common symptoms that can be experienced by the patient of IBS.
- Unusual bowel movements; it can be more than usual or even less
- Watery Stool; it can be lumpy or even harder than usual
- Bowel movement with a lot of discomfort
- Discomfort in upper stomach
- Abdominal bloating
- Discomfort during or before a bowel movement
Causes of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
The causes can vary person to person. However; there are some causes that can be responsible for irregular bowel syndrome. Following are the most common causes:
- Infection: Bacteria or even virus infection can cause IBS. The causes of virus attract can be many, however; the changes may involve to the functions of nerve, changes in the normal population of bacteria of bowel. These are the most common causes of IBS.
- Brain-Gut Signal: The signal between the nerves as well as the brain controls the work of the intestines. The brain gut signal related problems like changes in normal bowel movement, too much discomfort and more can cause IBS.
- GI Motor: In the colon the normal movement or the motility may not be present all time. Fast movement can cause diarrhea as well as slow movement can cause constipation and abdominal pain. Ultimately the irregular symptoms cause IBS.
- General Diet: Low fiber diet sometimes causes the irregular bowel syndrome. Many people also face this problem if they eat spicy or even the sugary foods. Food intolerance is a common cause of IBS.
- Medication: Sometimes drugs also cause diarrhea or even constipation. Pain killers, antibiotics often lead this problem.
- Emotional Stress: Emotional stress, nervousness, anxiety as well as other stress can affect the nerves as well as the bowel movement of many people.
There are some other factors that are also responsible for this disease. Triggers for this problem can range from pressure of gas on the intestines. The lacking of good bacteria in your intestine may also cause IBS. Abnormalities in the nervous system or even abnormalities in the colon many play a great role to occur this problem.
Many people face this problem occasionally. However; the following types of people face this problem more than others.
- Young People: People less than 35 years old experience IBS more than others.
- Female: It is seen than female experience IBS more than men. The main reason of facing this problem for the women is the dietary problems.
- Have a History of IBS: Some people who have a family story of this disease can also face this problem. In this case the real reasons of IBS are unknown most of the cases, however; the genes can be related.
Treatment of IBS
Treatment of IBS can be divided into 4 categories. The total treatment will be the combination of the followings
- Change in Diet Plan
Diet for IBS
It is possible to treat IBS simply by changing the diet plan. Foods that you need to avoid are:
- Fatty foods
- Milk products
- Alcohol or Caffeine
- Spicy or Sugary foods
- Foods that can cause gas
Medication can help a person reduce the symptoms of IBS. The health care professional normally selects the medication program according to the condition of the patient. Following are the medication methods for the patient of IBS.
- Fiber supplements
- Linaclotide (Linzess)
- Lubiprostone (Amitiza)
By treating the overgrowth of the bacteria, it is possible to reduce the symptoms of IBS.
Therapy can play a great role to treat IBS. Following are some therapies that can help you to improve your health condition
- Mindfulness Training: It will help you to focus on your attention as well as avoid tension.
- Hypnotherapy: This therapy will help to relax the muscles of the colon.
- Talk therapy: It helps to reduce the stress and also help to improve the mental condition. This therapy also includes relaxation and the techniques of stress management.
Probiotics are the useful bacteria that can help to reduce the symptoms of IBS. Probiotics can be found in different food items like yogurt. Your personal health care professional can give you the right advice about what kinds of foods are useful for you to improve your condition. Though it is possible to reduce the symptoms of IBS by taking the foods containing Probiotics, however; more research is required.
Another useful video about this disease
Irritable bowel syndrome does not cause any serious problem like colon cancer. However; it is responsible for the irritating conditions. The impact of IBS can be serious and it can reduce the quality of your living. IBS can also be the cause of depression. General stress relief can help you a lot to treat this problem. Healthy eating habit as well as regular exercise will also help you to avoid this type of unwanted problem like IBS.