There are instances when people become embarrassed because they have phlegm stuck in their throat. Aside from the fact that it can hinder them from talking or even eating at times, there are also instances when having phlegm can be mildly irritating. If you are looking for ways on how you can prevent the buildup of mucus on your throat, there are some methods that you can try to make you feel better.
Phlegm in Throat Causes
One of the main reasons why people acquire phlegm in throat is because of the food that they eat and the type of environment that they are currently in. Acquiring phlegm can be avoided if these things will also be avoided:
- Eating Fried Food Products – A lot of people like consuming fried food. Some people like it so much that they do not consume other food products that have not been fried. Do remember that the grease makes it almost impossible for the phlegm to break apart and be loose and this will make the phlegm get stuck on your throat longer than you thought.
- Allergy Causing Food – People have different allergies. There are some people who are allergic to seafood while others will not be able to take dairy. Knowing what food products you are allergic to can help lessen the chances of making the phlegm multiply because of the allergies.
- Avoid Smoking – Usually, when people have a lot of phlegm on their throats, their noses are stuffed up too. Smoking while having this condition can make things even more uncomfortable because it will be harder to breathe. Smoking can also help the body recover slowly from viruses and diseases.
- Strong Smelling Products – If you are currently in a place that is being painted or you can smell some strong fumes, you may have to avoid being in that place for a certain period of time because it can actually help aggravate the production of mucus in your system. Usually, when you are exposed to these fumes, your whole respiratory system suffers. As a result, more phlegm becomes lodged in your throat. It is also possible that mucus will clog your nose as well.
- Dairy – This is especially true if you normally cannot take in dairy because of other conditions. Usually, when people take dairy, the phlegm tends to become thicker and becomes even harder to dislodge from the throat. Taking in dairy will only stop make the phlegm get stuck on the throat even further.
The above mentioned things are just some of the things that should be avoided so that people will be able to dislodge or release the phlegm in throat very easily.
Home Remedies for Getting Rid of Phlegm
If you would like to find ways at home that will help you get rid of your phlegm, do remember that it can be easy as long as you do the following:
- Get Rid of the Phlegm by Letting it Out – There are some people who still get embarrassed in letting their phlegm get out of their throat even when they are alone. Do remember that when you let it out, you will feel relieved instantly. Although there are instances when after some time, the phlegm gets back so you would have to do it all over and over again. Do remember that you should not try to swallow phlegm because if you do this, it will be like a never ending cycle.
- Take a Warm Bath – if there is one reason why people get sick with colds it is because they still take a bath using cold water especially at night and even when the weather is cool. Taking warm baths can help clear the sinuses and can help melt the mucus stuck on the throat.
- Gargle with Salt Water – When it comes to problems with the throat, salt water is always a very handy and easy solution. Everyone can easily make a glass of warm water and a couple tablespoons of salt for gargling. If in case you are wondering what it does, salt can actually help remove the excess mucus stuck in the throat. Warm water can also melt stubborn mucus.
- Drink a Lot of Water – This can be a problem for people who do not normally drink water. You might be surprised to know that there are actually some people who can live without having to drink water. They simply drink other types of fluids whenever they feel thirsty. Water is always helpful to the body and to keep people’s bodies hydrated, drinking water will always help.
- Eat Hot Soup – You may not realize this now but consuming hot soup can help dislodge the stuck phlegm on your throat. The phlegm will become loose and can be released easily. Do remember though that when you feel the phlegm starting to become dislodged, it will be best not to swallow the phlegm all over again.
- Consume Food Products with Raw Garlic – You may not realize this right now but garlic is actually very helpful in making sure that the production of phlegm will not multiply on your throat while you sleep. Garlic has properties that can help stop the production of mucus and can also help loosen phlegm stuck on your throat.
Aside from the home remedies mentioned above, it can also be extremely helpful if you are going to try to breathe in steam. You can do this by placing a basin of hot water in front of you and trying to breathe in the steam that comes from the hot water. If you would like to make it more effective, you may also want to put in other products that can further help dislodge the stuck phlegm.
Do remember that if the phlegm in throat has been stuck for a long period of time, it may be time to seek the medical help of doctors. Usually, a medication may be prescribed to help cure the problem. Just remember to follow the dosages set by the doctor to not encounter any problem in the long run.