There are some people who have an even harder time being able to breathe when they have cough and colds when they become infected with chest congestion. What a lot of people do not realize is that chest congestion is actually a symptom of various health conditions. There are some people who are suffering from this condition and their main thought is to just get rid of this condition at the soonest possible time. The simplest tasks can be hard to accomplish with this condition. For instance, sleeping can be like a nightmare because breathing can be extremely hard. There are also instances when people are already about to sleep but because they are experiencing the condition, they wake up suddenly and cannot sleep after that. People are just wondering on ways how to get rid of chest congestion so that they can live better lives.
It seems that there are some people who do not realize that their diet can actually contribute a lot to how their body is going to react to different health conditions. When it comes to chest congestion, there are times when eating certain types of food can increase the chances of feeling the symptom. In order to stop the production of mucus, people are recommended to avoid taking in fat and greasy food products. Taking in food products that are also high in sugar and salt may not be that good for the body. Do remember that there are also some food products that will increase people’s chances of loosening their mucus and eventually clearing up the congestion in their chests.
Home Remedies to Naturally Clear Chest Congestion
The first thing that people should know is that there are various home remedies that people can try out so that they can first start trying to clear their chest without having to go to the doctor immediately. If you are also curious to know the possible ways then read on.
- Use Steam – Even though this is widely used, there are still some people right now who do not know how steam can be helpful in clearing chest areas. Do remember that it will be even better if people are going to add various essential oils that can further clear the chest area. Some of the possible oils that can be mixed in are peppermint and rosemary.
- Use Mentholated Cream or Salve – There are instances when people can use mentholated cream or salve and place that over their chest area to feel instant relief. While it does not do much to lessen the amount of mucus that can be found on the chest area, it can improve how people feel overall. This can also help people sleep when they are unable to sleep because of coughing or the inability to breathe properly.
- Hot Shower – Similar to using steam, having a hot shower can help clear off the mucus found inside the chest. It will help if the warm water can be placed near your chest to help loosen the hard mucus. Try to breathe in to clear off your sinuses. There are some people who usually take hot showers about 2x a day whenever they experience chest congestion.
- Over the Counter Medication – It will help if people could take over the counter medication to improve their current condition. Do remember to choose medications that will not suppress coughs but would rather let the mucus be loose so that the mucus can be removed easier. Be sure that you do not have any allergies with the over the counter medication that you will choose.
- Use Oral Sprays – There are some sprays right now that can be used in order to make sure that cough and colds can be stopped at the soonest possible time. Depending on the spray that will be used, it is possible that people will feel instant relief.
One thing that people should remember when they are already experiencing chest congestion, if they feel the urge to cough, what they can do is just cough out all of the phlegm. Do remember that the phlegm contains the bacteria that might be causing the chest to be congested. Swallowing the phlegm is not recommended at all times. This is also the same for people who feel the urge to blow their nose to clear their sinuses. Try to remove the mucus out in order to feel better. Those are just some of the ways on how to get rid of chest congestion.
Seeking Medical Attention
There are instances when having chest congestion signifies a more serious condition. You can usually tell if it is more serious if the chest congestion is mixed in with a bunch of other symptoms that are preventing people to pretty much do other things that they have to do on a daily basis. Going to the doctor may be extremely helpful. Here are just some of the things that your doctor can do for you:
- Prescribe Proper Medication – It is possible that even if you have already tried over the counter medications, these medicines did not work that well in order to clear out your sinuses. Your doctor may be able to recommend something that might work.
- If in case the prescription given by your doctor does not work that well on you, what you can do is to ask for alternative treatments that you can undergo in order to fully clear out chest congestion. Your doctor may be able to recommend the following:
- Nasal Sprays
- Antibiotic Shots
These things will be discussed with you thoroughly so that you will have a clear idea regarding which one you are going to choose on how to get rid of chest congestion.
- Try Out Inhalers – You are not recommended to take inhalers unless you have asthma but there are instances when people are given the chance to try the inhaler when they need to clear out their chest.
Your doctor will be able to pinpoint the things that would need to be done to improve your current condition. Once you get rid of the chest congestion symptom, it will be much easier for you to do the tasks that you have to do in a day.