Ultimate Guide to Upper Abdominal Pain
Upper Abdominal pain is a pain that occurs because of the pain in the digestive system. If you try to identify the actual reasons , then you have to go through several tests. Some symptoms also or the location of pain indicates the actual causes of the pain. Most of the causes are not serious. It is possible to diagnose and treat them quickly. However; pain in upper abdomen can also be a symbol of serious illness. Most of the people in their life face this problem at some point. It is crucial to recognize the symptoms and you should know when to call your personal doctor.
Causes of Upper Abdominal Pain
Any problem with the kidneys, rib case wall, lungs as well as heart can cause this symptom. Some diseases as well as illness are associated with this pain. Here are some causes that one should consider if they are experiencing such pain. It is crucial to take the medical advice if any of the following symptoms occur.
- Pancreatitis: This disease can occur because of excessive alcohol use, diseases of the gallbladder as well as a viral infection. Abdominal pain is the main symptom of this disease.
- Crohn’ Disease: This is one of the main causes. This disease affects the gastrointestinal tract. The intestines start to narrow when the disease starts to grow.
- Kidney Stone: Different kinds of mineral like Calcium start to get deposited inside the kidney. These start to lead to the formation of crystals. These little crystals start to bind and become as big as a tennis ball. This stone causes the abdominal pain.
- Heartburn: Sometime the spicy foods cause the burning sensation of the acid reflux. Some people may have GERD or even gastro esophageal reflux disease. Frequent heartburn is one of the most common causes.
- Gallstones: Gallstones stay in the gallbladder. This stone causes a very sharp as well as severe pain in the upper abdomen. This pain is known as gallbladder attracts. This pain may last for one hour or even two hours.
- Ulcers: Peptic ulcer may also cause this symptom. This pain lasts for several hours. You can experience chest pain, shortness of your breath as well as other symptoms. Irritated nerve as well as pulled muscles is some of the main reasons of this problem.
Following are some other causes with the location of the pain:
Left Upper Abdominal Pain
Central Upper Abdominal Pain
Right Upper Abdominal Pain
|• Herpes Zoster Infection|
• Myofascial Pain Syndrome
• Left Kidney Stone
• Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
• Pulled Muscle
• Left Lower Lobe Pneumonia
• Spleen Pain
• Bowel Cancer
• Left Sided Pulmonary Embolism
• Acute Pancreatitis
• Helicobacter Pylori Infection
• Stomach Ulcer
• Duodenal Ulcer
• Hiatus Hernia
• Heart Attack
|• Kidney Stones
• Lower Lobe Pneumonia
• Myofascial pain syndrome
• Trapped wind
• Acute appendicitis
• Subphrenic abscess
• Non alcoholic liver disease
• Pulled muscle
How To Stop Upper Abdominal Pain
The treatment of pain in upper abdomen depends on its cause. The pain that is caused by foods as well as beverages can be treated by changing the personal behavior or even the pain that is caused by ulcers or GERD can be treated by medication. Surgery is important in some cases like a hernia or even appendicitis. Other types of pain can easily be relieved through some simple methods.
- Avoid Physical Activities: Try to avoid different physical activities like exercising, sports until your pain subsides. Try to relax. If you feel that your symptom become worse, you can try some relaxing position. Sometime curling into a ball can help you to lower your pain.
- Use Hot or Cold Bottle of Water: You can place a hot or even cold bottle of water in your abdominal area. This will help you to relax your muscles. It will also help you to ease your pain or cramps. Heat is one of the effective methods for treating the abdominal pain that is caused by indigestion or even menstrual cramps.
- Eat Small Meals: Sometimes bloating for irregular bowel movements can cause this pain. If you want to avoid making this problem worse, you can take small meals. You can eat bland foods like rice, crackers as well as applesauce. It is advisable to avoid sugars as well as fats. You also need to drink plenty of water.
- Take an Antacid: If your stomach pain starts just after eating meals, the reason of this pain is probably the acid in your stomach and it is accompanied by the indigestion or even heartburn. If you face this type of situation, you can take antacids. It will help you to neutralize the acid in your stomach. You need to avoid foods that contain acids like tomatoes or even acidic fruits. You are not allowed to take caffeine, alcohol as well as carbonated beverages.
It is important to call your personal doctor immediately if you face any serious symptoms like abdominal swelling, fever as well as tenderness, diarrhea more than 4 to 5 days, unusual bowel movements, unexplained weight loss or in case if you are pregnant. If your abdominal pain cause trauma, then you need to go the emergency room. Do not ignore the situation if you experience pain or even pressure in your chest.
It is possible to treat your upper abdominal pain in several ways. However; it is important to find out the real causes of your pain. Your health care provider can take some physical examinations to find out the actual reason for your pain or you can share your symptoms with your personal doctor. It is easy to stop the this pain, if you know the real cause of your abdominal pain.