Getting headaches can be very irritating especially if you know that you would need to accomplish something fast but you cannot do it because of the pain that you are feeling. It can be even more problematic if what you are experiencing is a sinus headache. You find it hard to breathe and your head hurts more so as time passes by.
Causes of Sinus Headaches
Before you get the rundown on the various home remedies that you can try to help get rid of sinus headaches, you have to know the various causes first:
- Sinusitis – This is the main cause of getting sinus headaches when the nasal passages become too inflamed and they cannot drain out the excess fluid and mucus anymore.
- Allergies – There are times when people develop sinus headaches because their sinuses become inflamed due to getting exposed to some things. Allergies can be because of the food that you eat or the environment that you are currently in.
- Colds or Flu – When your immune system is weaker than usual, it might act like a chain reaction. It will first start with getting colds then afterwards, the sinuses will start to become inflamed and afterwards, sinus headache will occur.
The above mentioned things are just some of the possible causes of sinus headaches. In order to get rid of sinus headaches and go about with what you have to do, here are some of the natural home remedies that you can try.
Top 10 Home Remedies to Get Rid of a Sinus Headache
- Use a Humidifier
One of the main reasons why people encounter sinus problems is because their nasal passages become too dry. You would have to make sure that your nasal passages are well moisturized and you can do this by using a humidifier.
- Turn on the humidifier when you sleep at night. This will help fill up the room that you are sleeping in with moist air that will allow you to breathe better.
- Inhale the steam because this will help clear up your sinuses and eventually lessen the inflammation brought about by the dryness of the nasal passages.
- Do it whenever needed.
- Try to Relax
You might not have realized this but the more you panic about the situation, the more you become stressed about your sinus headache, the worse your condition becomes. This is because when you are stressed, the nasal passages tend to become tense. The tension may cause the nasal passages to become more inflamed.
- Try to clear out your mind and think about happy thoughts.
- Lie down on the bed but make sure that you elevate your pillows to allow you to breathe better.
- Close your eyes and try to darken your room to help you relax more.
- After a few minutes, you will realize that you are feeling better because you have allowed yourself to rest.
- Ice Pack
If you would place an ice pack over your forehead, you will realize that this will stop the pain because it can make the forehead too numb. The blood vessels around the head can shrink and will be less inflamed so the pain brought about by tense sinuses can also go away eventually.
- Wrap ice cubes in a clean cloth.
- Place the cloth with the ice on the forehead and allow it to rest for a few minutes.
- Take out the ice pack from time to time to allow the skin to breathe.
- Doing it for a certain period of time will start to bring some relief.
- Hydrate Yourself
When people experience pain, they sometimes panic and do not know what to do. You have to know that if you would like to lessen the pain that you are feeling, you have to drink water all the time. There are some people who are a bit uncomfortable with this because they feel nauseous and they feel that they are just going to vomit the water. Drinking water can be helpful because it can thin down the mucus causing the blockage and the headache.
- Try to drink about 8 – 10 glasses of water every day.
- If you are not fond of drinking water, you might want to drink juices and other healthy alternatives.
- Avoid taking in soft drinks or other drinks that have too much sugar.
- Vitamin C
You may not realize this but one of the main reasons why people have weak defenses against colds is because you lack vitamin C. There are some fruits that can help give you the vitamin C that you need every day to make your defenses against flu stronger.
- Research about fruits that can help you get your daily dose of vitamin C.
- Include those fruits in your diet.
- You can usually take these fruits by themselves or you can also turn them into juices.
- There are also some vegetables that can give vitamin C.
Best Vitamin Supplements
If you are already experiencing the pain brought about by the sinus headache, you can make use of ginger. Ginger has a lot of anti inflammatory and anti pain properties that can help get rid of the pain.
- Cut fresh ginger into thin slices.
- Place in a cup of boiling water for about 10 minutes.
- Try to smell the liquid once you place it on the cup while waiting for it to cool down. Strain the ginger pieces.
- You may add a bit of honey to make it taste better.
- Drink the ginger tea while it is still warm.
- Saline Spray
Same with the use of saline (salt + water) to get rid of some ear problems, saline spray can also be used to get rid of the blockage of nasal passages. This can make it easier for you to start breathing through your nose again.
- Use warm water and a bit of salt and mix them together.
- Place the solution in a spray atomizer.
- Spray the solution into both nostrils to moisturize the nasal passages.
- This can help relieve the congestion of the mucus.
- Jalapeno Pepper
You may be surprised to see Jalapeno pepper here because it is known to be very spicy but a lot of spicy food products can help drain the excess mucus that you may have. Have you ever experienced mucus going down from your nose when you eat something spicy? The effect of this is going to be the same.
- Take a few bites of a jalapeno pepper.
- It might not be too hot in the beginning but it will start to become hotter and hotter as you take more bites.
- You will start to feel that your mucus is becoming drained because of the heat of the Jalapeno.
- Make sure that you do not eat too much because it can be bad for your stomach.
Cinnamon is known to be another spice but it is not too spicy. Rather, it can just be effective in clearing out the sinuses to get rid of sinus headache.
- Take a tablespoon of powdered cinnamon and a few tablespoons of water. Make this into paste.
- Add a bit of sandalwood powder to the paste.
- Apply the paste on the forehead and leave for a few minutes.
- Wash it off afterwards.
It is possible that you have not realized by now that peppermint has some healing and soothing properties that can help get rid of headaches.
- Add a teaspoon of dried peppermint to a cup of boiling water.
- Cover the pot and let it steep for a few minutes.
- Strain and add some honey to make it taste better.
- Sip the peppermint tea slowly while it is still warm.
Do remember not to let sinus headaches stop you from doing the things that you have to do. Do these home remedies and get instant relief.