It is possible that you were doing something when suddenly; you felt a sharp, sudden pain on your lower back. If you have been lifting, it is possible that you have pulled your muscle. There are times when the pain is bearable and you know that it will go away over time but there are some people who accidentally pulled their muscles and were rushed to the hospital because the pain was already too much to bear. Do not let this happen to you. You can always avoid it by being more careful of your movements. Still, if in case you are already feeling some pain on your lower back and you do not know why, read on to know some of the common causes of pulled muscle in lower back.
Common Causes of Pulled Muscle in Lower Back
Here are just some of the possible causes for feeling uncomfortable because of back pain:
- Sports Injuries – This is considered to be common because a lot of sports require the use of the muscles of the lower back. If in case something goes wrong, there is a big chance that people are going to experience some pain for a certain time period usually depending on the severity of the condition.
- Sudden Exercise Movement – There are times when you may be too engulfed in wanting to do your exercise that you have made a sudden movement that your back was not ready for. Usually, you can tell if you have pulled your muscle because of the pain that you will feel afterwards.
- Lifting – There are some people who lift some things wrong or it is also possible that their posture when they have tried to lift is wrong. This can cause the muscles of the back to become strained.
- Sudden Impact – It is also possible that because of an accident or a near accident, your body twisted in such a way that is not considered to be normal. This may cause the back to become strained and the muscle to become pulled.
- Extreme Fatigue – The muscles are usually not in their best condition when a person is tired and stressed out. Lifting while feeling fatigued might become problematic too because this increases people’s chances of having pulled lower back muscles.
Now that you know the possible causes of acquiring the pulled muscle, the next step or steps that you have to do is to do the different home remedies that will help your muscles go back to how they used to be before you strained them.
Home Remedies for Pulled Muscle in Lower Back
1.Get Rid of Pulled Muscle in Lower Back With Rest
The good thing about muscles is that they will eventually heal over time and you can help them heal faster by resting. You may be tempted to go to the gym again and do some exercises but this will not help your condition at all. What you can do is rest for a certain period of time. Just remember not to rest too much since the body and the pulled muscle would only need a short amount of time to recover. You may try to exercise again after that but do not put too much stress on the area that was strained.
- Stop using the injured part of your lower back for a certain period of time.
- If you have to do some activities, make sure that your back will not be too strained as a result.
- Slowly return your routine back to normal until such time when your back has fully healed.
2.Get Rid of Pulled Muscle in Lower Back With Massage
The great thing about getting massages is that they are relaxing but aside from that, getting a massage can also have a good effect on the back because it will promote blood flow. When the blood flow in the back area is more adequate, the tendency of the muscles is to heal faster than normal. If ever there are tight back muscles, getting a massage can help get rid of that.
- Choose from a wide array of spas that can offer a massage.
- Choose from different types of massage.
- Do not fail to inform the massage therapist of your condition. He/ She might be able to provide you details on the right type of massage to use.
- Relax and just wait for the pulled muscle on your back to become okay eventually.
3.Get Rid of Pulled Muscle in Lower Back With Ice
You may not realize this but at the onset of the event wherein the muscle is pulled; placing ice on the affected area might help a lot. Ice can lower the inflammation brought about by they pulled muscle and will also soothe the pain that people are feeling.
- Place ice on a proper container. Make sure not to put too much especially if you are only going to use the ice compress for a limited period of time.
- Place the ice pack on the affected area and leave on for about 20 minutes. Make sure that you take rests in between because too much cold can be bad for the skin and even for the muscle.
- Do this until the pain and the inflammation subsides.
There are times when the only thing that people would need to do in order to make sure that the pulled muscle goes back to normal is if it would be stretched. This sometimes becomes so hard to do for the person because the pain is too much. If you know that the pain is unbearable, do not try to do this but if you feel that you can do it, then do so with care.
- Begin gentle stretching on your lower back.
- Make sure that you are not feeling any sort of pain because of stretching.
- If it feels good, this means that you are stretching correctly and you just have to continue doing it.
5.Try Elevation to Relieve Lower Back Muscle pain
This would only need to be done if after you have pulled a muscle, the area wherein the muscle has been pulled starts to look inflamed. Since the injured part is the lower back, you have to make sure that it will be properly elevated. You can do this by making sure that the back is above the level of the heart. This will bring down the possibility that the area will become more inflamed than it already is.
- Make sure that you have pillows to make it easier for you to elevate yourself.
- You may also want to use an ice pack in order to further decrease the chances of your lower back from looking inflamed.
The above mentioned things are just some of the natural home remedies that you can try at home if you have pulled a muscle in your lower back. If in case the things above do not work, you may want to consider going to a chiropractor that will surely improve your condition by the exercises that they do. There are also some medications that are available. Some will allow you not to feel any pain on your lower back. There are still so many options that are available. If you would be given a choice, which natural home remedy will you choose?