There are a lot of people who panic when they feel pain under the left rib cage. There are times when people panic because they automatically assume that there is a problem with their heart when in fact, there is nothing wrong at all. Most of the time, the pain that people feel under their left rib cage is because of the diaphragm or the stomach. The pain that people feel may be mild to moderate to severe.
Causes of left side rib cage pain
There can be different reasons why people are experiencing pain under their lower rib cage. Some may be caused by digestion problems or sometimes, it can also be caused by underlying conditions that people are not aware about just yet. Here are just some of the possible causes of pain under the left rib cage:
- Indigestion – There are different reasons why people sometimes have indigestion. Most of the time, it is caused by eating too much. Since there is so much food that would need to be digested, the whole digestion system slows down. When digestion is unable to take place, digestive gases may get trapped in the colon and this will cause the pain that people are feeling on their left rib cage.
- Stomach Ulcer – When people have stomach ulcer, the pain that people may feel is no joke at all. There are some people who feel like their stomachs are already bursting because of the pain. Having stomach ulcer can cause the stomach lining to become irritated and this is primarily the cause of pain. In order to know if it is truly stomach ulcer, you would be able to feel the pain travelling going to your left shoulder.
- Acid Reflux – From the name itself, you can guess that acid is involved. There are instances when people take in too much acidic beverages and food items. This can cause acid reflux or heartburn. The pain felt sometimes can be a bit sharp and people might think that it is their heart or their chest area that is hurting when in fact; it is just the lower left side of their rib cage.
- Costochondritis – This is a condition that is primarily caused by a virus. The virus affects the various cartilages that are located at the breastbone. Some people who are experiencing the pain caused by this condition think that they are getting a heart attack but the pain comes from under the chest area which makes it different. A check up from the doctor will confirm this condition.
- Broken Ribs – there are times when people encounter accidents or they hit objects when they least expect it. The impact can cause broken ribs which in turn can cause moderate to severe pain on the rib cage.
How to Treat Pain Felt Under Left Rib Cage
The available treatments to get rid of the pain that you are feeling under your left rib cage may vary depending on your condition. Some people find it complicated because there are various causes of the pain. Here are just some of the treatments that you would need to undergo to get rid of the pain:
- Surgery – This is essential for some of the causes of pain. If you have a ruptured spleen, you would have to undergo surgery immediately. Not doing so will only worsen your condition. This is also the same with having broken ribs. You cannot just let your ribs heal on its own.
- Taking Medications – For muscle pains that are felt below the rib cage, taking pain killers can do the trick. This is also the same for certain types of stomach conditions. You would need to take medications so that the condition will improve.
- Change in Diet – Like mentioned earlier, one of the main causes of feeling pain under the left rib is because of indigestion and acidity. If you would try to avoid food that are hard to digest and you will steer away from beverages that contain too much acid content, it is likely that you will not feel too much pain anymore.
Remember that even if you would try to undergo the different treatments mentioned above, the best way to do is always seek medical attention the moment that you feel pain. While there are times when the pain will just go away, there are also instances when the pain will come back and will reoccur. Seeking the help of your medical doctor will help you out tremendously.