Are you always feeling uncomfortable because of heart burn? Do remember that you are not alone. Adults are known to feel this at least once in the lifetime. If you are not sure if what you are feeling is a heartburn, remember that this is the type of pain behind the breastbone that can spread throughout your chest and even up to your throat. While most people might think that this is a disease, you have to know now that heartburn is known to be a symptom. Heartburn is usually caused by acid reflux.
Acid reflux usually happens when the muscle that is near the stomach relaxes. The stomach muscle should not relax and should not let the gas acids go up but when this happens, it can result to heartburn. There are different reasons why acid reflux happens; some of these include the following:
Causes of Heart Burn & Acid Reflux
- Eating Fried and Fatty Food Products – It goes to show that eating fatty food products can be bad for the body and will cause the stomach muscles not to close properly.
- Overindulgence in Spicy Food Products – It is very possible that the main reason why you are having problems with acid reflux and heartburn is because you have eaten something spicy.
- Caffeine – Since the Lower Esophageal Sphincter (LES) becomes relaxed because of the compound in caffeine, it can make the acid juices especially if there are extra juices to go up.
- Alcohol – Same with caffeine, the LES becomes relaxed after drinking alcohol and this is the main reason why the acidic contents can go straight to the esophagus.
- Smoking – There are times when people who are addicted to smoking will not last a day without having a cigarette, while the craving is always there, it can sometimes cause acid reflux and heartburn.
Other than these things, there may still be other reasons why you may experience acid reflux. If you already have acid reflux, you may want to know the various things that you can do to solve it at the soonest possible time.
10 Best Home Remedies to Get Rid of Heart Burn
- Chewing Gum
You may not realize this but chewing gum can help a lot in getting rid of acid reflux. You may be recommended to choose a sugar free gum instead of sugar laden gums. When you chew gums, you are able to stimulate your saliva and this can help digest food easier and better.
- After eating your meal, chew a sugar free gum.
- Chew the gum for 30 minutes.
- Dispose the gum properly.
- Baking Soda/ Sodium Bicarbonate
This provides a quick relief from heartburn. Since this is a natural antacid, it can make sure that your heart burn will go away in a short period of time.
- Place a teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of water.
- Mix the baking soda together with lemon juice.
- Drink to get instant relief from heartburn.
- Fennel Seeds
Aside from the fact that fennel seeds can act as a natural breath freshener because it can make your breath instantly fresh, you can also improve the amount of stomach acids that you have which means that you will not go over.
- Place some fennel seeds in a cup of water.
- Wait for the fennel seeds to steep for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the fennel seeds and drink it.
Although there are some people who do not seem to believe that licorice can be very helpful in getting rid of heartburn, there are some who are aware that the components of licorice can effectively get rid of acid reflux and heart burn. There are also some studies that show that it can also get rid of high blood pressure.
- Chew some licorice tablets before eating meals especially if you know that you are going to eat huge meals.
- Some licorice tablets do not test like licorice.
- If you want you can also chew fresh licorice if you would like that better.
The great thing about ginger is that it is very easy to get. It can also be very effective in relieving heartburn. Aside from the fact that it can absorb the acids that have been released in the stomach, it can also make sure that your nerves are calm so that people can also get relief from heartburn.
- To get rid of heartburn, you may make use of ginger tea.
- Prepare ginger tea by placing peeled ginger on a cup of water.
- Let the ginger sit on the water for 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and honey to taste.
- Strain the ginger and drink the tea.
It is highly likely that you know aloe not because you are aware that it can help fight heart burn but because you know that Aloe is good for the skin and hair. Do remember that you can also use Aloe to help get rid of the pain brought about by heartburn. It reduces inflammation so that your nerves will be calmer and your heartburn will go away.
- Drink aloe juice after meals.
- You may choose to do this 2x a day or 3x a day.
- Do remember that it can also act as a laxative to help you in digesting food.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
There is a possibility that when you are suffering from heart burn brought about by acid reflux, the best solution is the apple cider vinegar. This can help close the stomach muscle flap or the sphincter that would have to keep the acids in place and can help stop the stomach acids from going to the chest area.
- Add a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar to a glass of water.
- You can add a bit of honey if you want.
- Drink this 3x a day. You are recommended to drink it before each meal.
There are some people who are not aware that milk can be effective in getting rid of acid reflux probably because of the fact that milk is sometimes connected to pain in the digestive system. This time, milk can be effective in getting rid of heart burn.
- Drink milk when you are already feeling heart burn.
- Wait for the effect of milk to take place.
- If you do not have milk, you can also take other dairy products instead.
- Slippery Elm
While a lot of people know that slippery elm has been used for a lot of years already, people are not truly aware what it can be used for. Slippery elm will thicken the mucus lining that can prevent acid reflux and therefore, prevent heart burn.
- Prepare slippery elm powder.
- Place a teaspoon on a cup of water.
- Drink before each meal.
- You are also recommended to drink before going to sleep.
Nut lovers unite and will rejoice upon knowing that almonds can also be effective against heartburn. The great thing about almonds is they can calm the production of acids in your stomach. This can then prevent the acids from going up and cause heartburn.
- Eat 4 almonds after each meal.
- You may choose raw or roasted almonds. Make sure you do not eat too much if it is salted.