Long colds could be very annoying and people try to fight effectively to get better fast. However, the facts reveal that taking medicines are not as effective as people suppose and even lower their immune system, so that they become even more prone to various diseases including colds. There are natural remedies that could help people get rid of colds making their immune system stronger, thus preventing them from getting sick again.
The most surefire method to stay away from colds is to prevent the cold attack at the very beginning. In case that is not possible, you can keep attack’s frequency and intensity reduced to minimum. For example, you should regularly spare the torture of your nose, in case you have caught a cold.
Regular exercising is very important to keep all nasal passages from blocking. For that reason breathing and neck exercises should be applied. You can find online some good techniques to follow done by healthcare professionals that are extremely helpful in relieving such condition.
Another important factor for being healthy is following an appropriate diet, especially if you get colds frequently. The reason for that might be in Vitamin C deficiency, so you are recommended to increase fresh fruit and vegetables intake on a regular basis. You should also drink a lot of water everyday, approximately 3 litres a day to wash away the viruses. Liquids should be taken at least half an hour prior to eating and 3 hours before going to bed.
How To Get Rid Of A Cold Fast and Naturally
In case all these simple advices do not work efficiently, try to follow the following steps:
- If your throat is scratchy, drink a lot of sparkling water or club soda. Consume 3 times per day some garlic added to salt water.
- Get a towel and boil some water in a pot for 5 minutes, putting a lid on it. Then remove the lid and place your head above the steam draping a towel over the head. This way you will be able to direct the steam in the desired place. Breathe in and out gently and deep. The procedure should continue for 15 minutes and should be done 6-7 times per day. It will be beneficial if you include 2 showers – one in the morning and one before going to bed in the evening during this period.
- Use an inhaler, if available. You can use a simple electric kettle with a hole on its lid. You could inhale the steam when the water starts boiling. This method is considered a bit safer than the one with a towel covering your head while you bend over the stove. You needo ensure the towel is away from the flame, especially if you use a gas stove.
- Try to take enough rest during the night. Recommended hours for faster recovery are minimum 12 hours. Drink black tea as well, as it contains caffeine but it is light and can help you heal. You can substitute a black tea with green one. Warm fluids are very helpful, along with drinking a lot of orange and lemon juices.
If the unpleasant symptoms like dizziness, tiredness, loss of voice, high fever, cough, etc. increase for a couple of days, you can treat them, using the following simple tips:
- In case of a high fever, stay in bed and dip a cloth into cold water to place on your forehead. Drink plenty of cold water – between 2 and 4 pints per day.
- Take regular naps whenever you feel tired, as they will support your recovery. If you don’t take enough sleep, this might worse your condition. So just sleep as much as you can and drink a lot of fluids throughout the day, such as water, warm teas and fresh juices.
- You can start taking cough drops, if you lost your voice or have a cough. A natural alternative is to take some fresh squeezed lemon juice mixed with water and some honey. Drinking some club soda will also help you recover your voice.
- If you feel dizziness, you should avoid staying in front of a computer and just relax. You can add some more Vitamin C and eat more oranges, as they contain citric.
- To prevent feeling weak, keep active moving around and staying engaged in different simple activities, instead of staying in front of the computer. This is an ideal time to clean your room, for example.
When the cold is finally gone, you should avoid getting sick again by following the same tips and maintaining good hygiene. Wash your hands regularly and disinfect the house often. Keep your windows constantly opened even during the winter months, so that the germs could get out. Take regular showers and get a new toothbrush to prevent getting contaminated from the old one. All these natural methods will help you avoid colds or recover from them fast if you are already ill.