It is likely that even though you are highly curious as to why Chia seeds are being given a lot of attention lately, you do not have an idea what it can actually do to the body. This means that you are not entirely sure what the benefits that you can get from it are. If you are not familiar with it, Chia seeds are little black seeds that are highly nutritious. Chia seeds come from the salvia hispanica plant that can only found in a few parts all over the world.
Chia seeds were actually used way back even when the Mayans and Aztecs were still actively practicing their different rites and processes. In the modern times, Chia seeds are now being used not only for medications but also for different products that can help people’s health improve.
Health Benefits People Can Get from Chia Seeds
There are still a lot of people right now who are not entirely sure about the different benefits that they may get from consuming Chia seeds. If in case you are also curious about the things that you will be able to get and how much chia seeds per day to take, here are a few things to ponder on:
- Lowers High Cholesterol – Due to eating fatty food products, there are some people right now who have high cholesterol levels although they do not know it just yet. Usually though, people who have high cholesterol usually note that they sometimes have a hard time doing the tasks that they have to do because of the different symptoms that they experience. The intake of Chia seeds can help lower people’s cholesterol levels effectively.
- Lessens the Chance of Acquiring Heart Disease – When people are overweight or if they have other conditions that are related to their weight, the heart has a harder time pumping the blood to different parts of the body. This is the reason why some people acquire heart disease. In order to prevent this from happening, the intake of Chia seeds can do the trick.
- Contains Omega 3 Fatty Acids – There are a lot of people who specifically take in food products that are high in Omega 3 Fatty acids because they are known to trap toxins and release the toxins easier outside the body.
- Can Be Taken by Vegans – There are some vegans who are having trouble getting their supply of Omega 3 fatty acids simply by taking supplements alone because a lot of supplements are still made with fish oil which is a big no-no for vegans all over the world. Chia seeds can be a great alternative to fish oil and can also produce the same nutrients.
- Can Help People Lose Weight – There are some people who are having a hard time understanding how people can lose weight with the use of Chia seeds. The reason why this is possible is because Chia seeds contain Omega 3 fat ALA that can help promote weight loss.
These are just some of the benefits that people may get from taking in Chia seeds. It is likely that for people who have already been taking the seeds for the longest time, it will be much easier to list down other benefits that they have received from it.
How Much Chia Seeds Should People Take?
How much? This is what people ask when they want to know how much Chia seeds per day. Some people base it on what has been recommended to them but in case you are not sure about this yet, here is something that you can base your intake on:
- Children who are below 5 years of age are not recommended to take Chia seeds just yet unless recommended by the doctor which is not often.
- Children who are about 5 – 10 years old should not consume over a tablespoon of Chia seeds.
- Children who are 10 – 18 years of age are recommended to take about 1.5 – 4.5 grams of Chia seeds every day still depending on the age and the child’s need.
- Adults are recommended to take in about two tablespoons of Chia seeds every day.
- Adults who are trying to lose weight may have to take in more Chia seeds to make it more effective. They usually have to take about 40g of Chia seeds for a period of three months. Do take note that the Chia seeds should be taken daily for maximum effect.
Through the details that you have learned about how much Chia seeds per day should be taken, it is recommended that people would follow the details mentioned above to maximize the effects of the seeds.
How to Take Chia Seeds
For people who are wondering how Chia seeds would be included in food products, there are some Chia recipes that are already posted online for people who would like to make Chia seeds their main ingredient in making the food. A lot of people though just sprinkle the seeds with the food that they normally eat. There are even some who mix it in with their juices and the shakes that they have to drink. Do remember that if you use Chia seeds for soups, they can magically make the soups thicker than usual. There are some people who make sure that Chia seeds can become sprouts because this can be added on to vegetable dishes as well as to salads.
Some Things to Remember
While all things about Chia seeds seem good enough, you have to remember that there are certain precautions that people have to follow. For instance, if you are pregnant, ask your doctor first if you can take the seeds. There are still some studies that are ongoing about the effect of Chia seeds to pregnant women but there are still no valid studies that can show that they can be truly effective for women who are about to give birth. There are also some people who experience bad effects because of Chia seeds because they may be allergic to it. If people would see some signs of bloating or other negative symptoms, the intake if Chia seeds may have to be stopped.