There are instances when people cannot help but feel pain near their abdominal and chest area. The reasons why people feel pain depends on the things that they have eaten and the things that they did hours before they felt pain.Acid Reflux is just one the possible reasons why people feel pain and if you also have this condition, then it is likely that you would like to know more details about it.
What Is Acid Reflux?
Acid reflux is known to be a condition by which the acids from the stomach go up again because there are too many acids that are present. The reflux happens when other parts of the digestive system fail to make sure that the acids do not go up.
Possible Causes of Acid Reflux
In case you do not know the reasons why you have this condition, here are the possible causes of Acid Reflux. Do remember though that if you eat a lot of acidic foods, then that it already one contributing factor to your current condition.
- Impaired Stomach – There are instances when the stomach is not working that well because of a variety of reasons. The stomach is supposed to be emptied after a certain period of time but if it does not do it correctly, the contents of the stomach may want to rise up again and this causes more acids to be released. The acids of course, can be too much.
- Problems with the Esophagus – There are some people who have problems with their esophagus. This is the reason why when you feel like you are having a hard time swallowing because it feels like you have just swallowed a whole hardboiled egg, you should visit the doctor immediately. You may have some abnormalities with your esophagus and this can greatly contribute to having acid reflux.
- Malfunction of the Lower Esophageal Sphincter Muscles – Like already mentioned earlier, the LES muscles are responsible for making sure that the contents of the stomach will not go up to the esophagus and the mouth again but there are times that these muscles fail and as a result, the acidic content of the stomach also rises up.
- Obesity – There are instances when one of the reasons why the stomach is not able to digest things well is because there is just too much to digest. For a person who is obese, the chances of acquiring diseases in the esophagus and the stomach are more likely. Losing weight is the best combat for this.
- Eating and Lifestyle – If you are the type of person who loves to eat then lie down afterwards then you are just increasing your chance of getting an acid reflux. When you lie down after you eat, you are not helping your body digest what you have eaten. This is the reason why some people say that after eating you should try to stand up first and walk around a bit. This does not mean though that you have to exercise immediately because this will be a cause for another serious condition.
The food that you eat can also be one the main causes of getting an acid reflux. Some people cannot help but drink and eat beverages and food that have a lot of acid content. Too much of anything is bad. Knowing what you have to eat can always help you in the long run.
Important Information about Acid Reflux
Acid reflux can affect a lot of people. It does not matter whether you are young or old. There are even some people who experience it at least once a month. It can hinder you from doing things that you love doing. Also, if it happens more often it can elevate to a more serious condition. It is important that people who are experiencing acid reflux will seek to have treatment immediately.
Treatment for Acid Reflux
There are several ways by which people can be cured. Here are just some of the possible treatments that people can undergo:
- Drug Treatments – The amount of medications that people would need to take will depend on how serious the condition already is. Most cases of people who have acid reflux though are just mild and would not require serious medication.
- Lifestyle Changes – Being more aware of the food that you need to eat plus having just the right amount of exercise will help prevent getting acid reflux.
- Surgery – This is usually the last resort if people do not react well with medications or they cannot push through with their lifestyle change. This is usually done for people whose conditions are getting worse.
Remember that acid reflux is usually a tolerable condition but it would still require treatments and medications. Make sure that you are aware of the food that you are taking so that you do not have to worry about acquiring this disease.